← Back

5-Year Capital Campaign Assessment

The Grant County Economic Development Council has sent out a survey to the investors of the council to gather feedback on the Building Prosperity Campaign. 2018 marks the fifth year of the campaign and the Grant County EDC has been able to reach many of the goals originally set by the investors in 2014.

SGL Composite Employees who benefited from the WorkStart Grant.

SGL Composite Employees who benefited from the WorkStart Grant.

Initiative I: Existing Business Development. In 2014 and 2015 the Grant County EDC worked with SGL Automotive Carbon Fiber on a Washington WorkStart grant, which helped to provide training to existing and new employees. Due to the WorkStart grant, 59 employees were trained, 44 of whom were new employees. In 2015, the EDC worked along side AstaReal, to help with their first expansion. By helping set up meetings between the City of Moses Lake, The Port of Moses Lake and Washington State Department of Ecology, they were able understand the permitting process and how it would effect the water, waste water and air quality before the expansion. Working to expand export in the county, Allan Peterson, has been able to help multiple companies in the area with an out bound trade mission to Asia. So far, Eckenberg Farms and Cascade Organic Flour have both expanded employment due to these efforts.

Announcement for MRJ Flight Testing in Moses Lake.

Washington Governor Jay Inslee with Mitsubishi and the Port of Moses Lake announcing their intent to do their flight testing at the Port of Moses Lake.

Initiative II: Business Recruitment and Attraction. In 2014 and 2015 three business opened their doors for operation, resulting in 355 new jobs into the area. The EDC worked with Amway/Nutrilite starting in 2010, AstaReal starting in 2012 and Mitsubishi in 2014.

Initiative III: Retail and Services Development. The Grant County EDC along with the Moses Lake Chamber of Commerce, and county real estates have been representing the county for six years at the annual retail convention, RECon in Las Vegas, Nevada. Because of these efforts, we have been able to make connections with many developers and retail establishments over the years. Since 2012, fifteen new retail establishments have located in Grant County.

Locations of where the SIP Funds have been issued or committed.

Locations of where the SIP Funds have been issued or committed.

Initiative IV: Infrastructure Development. As administrator of the Strategic Infrastructure Program, the Grant County EDC has worked with our communities to provide $3.4 million in SIP funds from 2014-2017. In Washington State, rural counties are allotted 0.09% of the sales tax from the area to be used for economic development. Grant County has elected to set up a committee comprised of locals appointed by the county commissioners to review projects from the municipalities that will provide public infrastructure and create jobs.
The Grant County PUD is committed to providing fiber to the entire county. Currently, 70% of the county is connected, while the remaining 30% is in very rural areas that require long distances to connect the homes. The PUD has asked the EDC to collaborate by helping to provide demographic information so that the PUD is able to make decisions of how the buildout will proceed.

Initiative V: Communication and Investor Relations. Staff is constantly working to serve the community and carry out the vision of the investors. By bringing in experts for community forums such as the All Ports Meeting, Annual Banquet and our newly Economic Forum staff is bringing value and information to the community and EDC investors.
The Grant County Economic Development Council has sent out a survey to the investors of the council to gather feedback on the Building Prosperity Campaign. 2018 marks the fifth year of the campaign and the Grant County EDC has been able to reach many of the goals originally set by the investors in 2014.

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Facebook
LinkedIn