The City of George is located at exit 149 on Interstate 90 in central Washington State, the City of George, Washington, is the only city in the nation named after the full name of a president. George is located at the southern entrance to the Columbia Basin Plateau and the Columbia Basin Reclamation Project. Six miles west of George is the famous Gorge Amphitheater overlooking the spectacular Columbia River Gorge. George has sunny, dry and warm summers with temperatures in the 80's and 90's, and winters with cold temperatures and occasional snow. The average annual precipitation is 8 inches.
City Council Members
Mayor Don Entzel
Council Member Hector Olivia
Council Member Kate Schooler
Council Member Juan Villalpando
Council Member Julia Schooler
Council Member Patty Neff
Community Information & Web Links
- Interstate 90 and State Road 281 are less than 1 mile north
- State Highway 283 is 2 miles northeast
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway: Seattle to Chicago mail line is 17 miles north in Quincy.
Public Transportation Network
- Greyhound stops in Moses Lake 32 miles east
- Amtrak stops in Ephrata, 23 miles northeast
- Local airport: Quincy Municipal Airport is 11 miles to the north.
- Grant County International Airport with Foreign Trade Zone is 32 miles east. Also serves as a test site for Boeing. The airport has 2 runways of 13,500ft and 10,000 ft. FedEx serves as the air cargo.
- Pasco, WA Container Barge Terminal: 90 Miles south
- Water Type: Columbia River
- Channel Depth: 15'
- Turning Basin: 225'
- Barging Facilities: Yes
- General Cargo Facilities: Yes
- Containerized Facilities: Yes
- Storage Facilities: Yes
- Highways Serving Port: State Highway 395
- Railways Serving Port: Burlington Northern Santa Fa Main Line